Sunday, April 18, 2010

BREAK IN CASE OF EMERGENCY


I’m going to weigh in on a topical debate. Usually I would stay the heck away from anything political, because let’s face it, no one ever wins in these discussions. Most people are set in their ways and opinions. Full stop.


I however, am not. I'm not particularly Liberal or Labor. I am not a Greens or Family First solider either. I just want one fucker to stand up and go “How about this kids, I just want to work for you – the people of Australia. I am not doing this to prove to my father how grown up I am, nor am I doing it to give the finger to the opposition, I just sincerely want to do this to improve our way of life, regardless of social status. Naive? Most definitely. Doesn’t mean it isn’t what I want.


Anyway, I digress.


Day Light Savings is the topic. Well in Queensland it is.


Hot topic right now. Hotter than hot. Hotter than those poor bastards that will have to patrol the beaches in an hour more of sunlight than they normally would do, if DST comes in again.


My opinion – I couldn’t care. Do it or don’t do it, just don’t use the topic to take the spotlight off the more pressing issues, i.e. the QLD Health Pay debacle. We elected, well someone elected, the Labor government into power to govern Queensland. That means, for their term, they get to make many decisions on behalf of the people of QLD. So just do it already. Don't waste millions of dollars of our money getting a decision through referendum. Seriously, that is money that right now, the hospitals could use to buy precious equipment to keep babies and children alive. Or provide places for young people currently stuck in aged care facilities because there is nothing suitable for their needs. For Fucks sakes, do politicians trade in their common sense when they get elected?


And I guess, for people outside of QLD, you may not be aware, that the majority of QLD Health workers, nurses, cooks, wards men and admin staff, have had their pay, basically, fucked up, for over a month now. And when I say fucked up, I mean haven’t been paid. This is due to a software bungle. You know, the kind of software that costs 50 million bucks and is still useless. I’ve said it once and I’ll say it again, if you or I, as a private person ran a business the way the government does theirs, we would be bankrupt and never employed to run anything of worth - EVER AGAIN.


So, talk to the hand Anna Bligh, because when these workers are having to fore go operations on their children and are getting kicked out of their houses because they no longer have the funds to pay their rent, there are no valid excuses. And if anyone out there thinks the “normal” person or family aren’t living virtually pay packet to pay packet, then they are deluded.


So, the panic button has been hit. Good ole’ daylight savings. When all else fails, pull out this old chestnut. Am I just being cynical? Not if a little thing called history is anything to go by. Previous Premier, Peter Beattie dragged it out some three years ago to distract Queenslanders from the fact that their councils were being forcefully amalgamated.


Now as a parent, I reckon the only gripe I would have is that it would be tough getting a three year old down to sleep, when the sun is still shining outside. Then again, the fact that the sun would be up an hour later, would be a total win.


And hey, we, as a family have had to deal with the two time zone thing for over 7 years. We lived on the Tweed Coast and worked up in QLD for 4 years and ironically, we moved back the Gold Coast and ended up working back at Tweed. So we have been juggling work, kids, school, and just generally trying to function with two time zones for that long and you know what, we have just dealt with it, sucked it up and got on with it.


So, at the end of the day I just want to say this, life is too short to worry about whether or not we have one more hour of sunlight in our day or not. Make a decision Anna. You will be both the devil or the angel whichever way you go, so just do it already.


What really matters are the basics. Shelter, food, health and education. How about we just get that shit sorted first. If we get around to the other stuff one day, well, bonus.

9 comments:

Thea said...

I think you summed it up just right!!

Seraphim said...

Having been through this issue a couple of times in my state, I am in wholehearted agreement. It's a smokescreen issue. It really doesn't matter. The other issues? the ones you mention like health, transport, education, actually really, really do.

kbxmas said...

Pointing out the elephant in the room? Politicians hate that. Good for you. So much money is wasted every day on such ridiculousness. It boggles my mind.

Annieb25 said...

Totally agree. You should send this to Anna Bligh. Seriously they have no idea. Best leave now before I get started :)

Vicki said...

News of the pay stuff-up has trickled south and I heard a news report about it on the weekend. I was stunned some workers have been told to go to charities if they need help.
Somebody needs a bitch-slap. Anna?

Moko 2.0 said...

Amen.

tenille-help-mum said...

Ugh, politics. I detest the fact that our political system ensures that its the people who are good at getting elected running the country, rather than the people who would actually be good at running the country.
It's only going to get worse with a federal election that will probably drop in November, and a state election for NSW the following March.
I not inspired to to vote for any of them; they're all still politicians.

Smudgeblurr said...

Hey Bern,
I enjoyed a 3 week sojourn into Daylight Savings in Jan this year when we drove to Canberra to do a job - and I loved it! So I am all for it but not for wasting money on it while education and health are still so desperately in need of funding! As you so aptly put it - "How about we just get that shit sorted first" My vote is for YOU!
Wx
p.s part of my word verification was inept - very appropriate!

lifeinapinkfibro said...

Great post Bern. Drives me nuts when the incidental stuff becomes front page news.