Tuesday, March 8, 2011

SYDNEY BABY







So in just over a week, I will be in Sydney for the Aussie Bloggers Conference.  And I am super excited.  Excited on a few levels.  One, I get to meet, in real life, the many magical people I have met on the interwebs through this Blog and twitter. Secondly, it will be 4 days entirely on my own.  No seriously, on my total lonesome.  Well except for the catch ups that are being arranged, but on a whole, there will be no demands for Milo, lost DVD pilgrimages or any breaking up of impromptu UFC smack downs in the lounge room.  And I just KNOW I will appreciate all of these AFTER I’ve had 4 days away alone.  I just know it.




I have been away once, with my two best friends to Melbourne.  That was 5 years ago.  I did a bit of this








And a lot of this:










The one thing I have not got sorted yet though, is my attire.  I know, total 1st world problem, but forgive me father, it's been 5 years since my last holiday alone and I want to look pretty.


We have a dinner/dance on the Saturday night, plus this Saturday I have cocktail dress inspired 40th to attend.  So I need a kickarse dress.  And I've tried, lord how I’ve tried to find something exactly right.  I’ve been to every major shopping centre here on the Coast; admittedly a little distracted by the 4yo trying to expose me to the world whilst trying on outfits, but nothing has caught my attention.  


Well, nothing did, until, last Saturday when I was sitting on the couch and out came Shelley Craft on Australia’s Funniest Home Videos.  Sure, judge me how you see fit because a) I was home on a Saturday night and b) I was happily gearing up for an hour of people stacking it in unfortunate circumstances, but if I hadn’t, I wouldn’t have seen Shelley wearing this: 









I know it's a shock, but this is not me or Shelley




She looked amazing.  Immediately I was trying to work out where she had gotten it and, through the power of twitter, Channel 9 advised me of the designer.  Snap.  Oh except that when I got to the website, this dress is apparently “beach wear”.  Oh and it’s a Kaftan.  Two things that do not scream dinner dance and/or Cocktail Wear. Then again, I’m coming from the Gold Coast; surely anything other than a leopard print unitard will be a given the AOK?



Either way, the dress was $180.00 and well, let’s face it, I’m tight, so I am still dress less...




Luckily, I have been emailed a few suggestions this week, which I am still trying to manouvere my way around.






Don't be a hater, I can totally pull this off.








Should I choose to bring the fam.


High Class (some would say Hooker, I am refraining)




I've heard the weather  can be unpredictable


Ling Ling




Red shorts.  Black singlet.  Happening hair.  I think I've found it.





See you in Sydney ;)

38 comments:

Ms Styling You said...

You so could rock a kaftan as cocktail attire! I've done it - often!! Looking forward to meeting you Bern x

Carly Findlay said...

Catch up Friday in sydney and we will shop? hasnt it been a dream of yours to shop with me?

Annieb25 said...

Go to www.sachadrake.com.au - she has wonderful frocks. I love her. Can't wait to see you in Sydney xx

MaidInAustralia said...

I have a $19 dress from Target for the Saturday night. No idea what for the Friday night or Satur-day. I'm thinking clothes would be good.

4 kids, 20 suitcases and a beagle said...

Bern, you could go in a garbage bag and you'll still look great. What you can't do though is steal my man. Red Shorts, black singlet man is totally mine....thats me there on his left...I didn't realize I'd sent you a family pic?

Thea said...

I didn't even get that far.

Twitchy said...

Dress around your hair, for sure! With a gloriferous mane such as yours you are on the right track- everything else will pale. You could go in next to nothing. Worked for Cher.

Catch the Kids said...

Looking forward to meeting you and your frock on Saturday!

Sarah said...

Bern I LOVED these photos of you. Please, please wear one of your "days of yore" outfits. We'll call it vintage chic.

Lucy said...

I dare you, Bern, to wear you blue velvet formal gown a la 80's. Please?

Cannot wait to meet you....xx

Penbleth said...

I think you should go with the leotard. Hot, perhaps keep the upside down brolly in reserve, serves also as a port-a-potty.

Have a great time.

Wanderlust said...

OMG, you would rock ALL those looks. Want to borrow my flag? And can I just say one thing?? Woooot WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Glen said...

have fun :-)

Madmother said...

We want photos on your return!

And you and the waffler should be coming to the Qld prelim this Saturday!

bigwords is... said...

Bern you'll look fabulous in anything you choose - even if you do come with a telephone strapped to your head!! And anyway after the fourth drink you wont care what you're wearing!! Can't wait to meet you.

Being Me said...

You'd need some rubber ducks to float in that upturned umbrella, otherwise.. it's a hit!

Megan Blandford said...

I was struggling to find a dress, too, and after seeing some of the options available I was thinking 'comical' might be my theme for the night. Except I'm far too serious to pull that off.

Looking forward to meeting you!

Dorothy said...

I've given up on the clothes, they don't make pretty in my size/shape/price range. I'll just recycle something from the wardrobe.

Can't wait to meet you!

MultipleMum said...

Oh please wear the umbrella dress! You would be the hit of the event :) I hope to see you there x

Trish@Show and Tell said...

You're far too luffley and interesqing to ever be defined by your clothes, Bern.

Trish
xxx

cjtato said...

No advice here. I'm hopeless when it comes to finding the perfect outfit.

Occasionally I pull it off like the time I scored a lovely black dress from Target for $15 and had the wind blown out of my sails when I was told it was actually from the maternity section. Boo to the sales person!

Still the dress looked great!

Hope you have a great time!

Mrs Woog said...

Bern I have grinners cramp from reading your post. Please wear the umbrella dress. It goes with your eyes. I really do not care what I am going to wear, as long as the wine is cold and the music is loud x

Alyssa said...

please please please the umbrella!! there will be no wine crime because it will catch all spills!

Jodie at Mummy Mayhem said...

Oh, hon. FUN-NY!

I am SO looking forward to meeting you. After our disastrous attempt at a catch up when I was on the Gold Coast, it's time. Time, my dear.

Personally, I'm voting for the Paula Abdul number. You know the conf is in Kings Cross, right? I'm thinkin' you could take this baby out for the night and hey presto - trip paid for.

Just sayin. ;) x

KJ said...

Bern, if you decide to go with the purple leotard PLEASE tuck in whatever is not tucked in in her crotch reason. I'm hoping it's the gusset bit of the leotard, but......

Glowless @ Where's My Glow said...

Damnit! *throws out leopard print unitard* I will have to go back to the shops!

melodramummy said...

I've only got into blogging about a month ago and by the time I found out about the conference it was sold out. I so feel like the little girl sitting in the corner of the playground on her own with no friends...

Kathy said...

Hey, melodramummy, I'm not going either and I knew about it from the start. I feel your pain :-(

Bern you will look awesome in whatever you wear. Am very, VERY bummed that I won't be there to meet you and all the other blogtastic people I read / write to & with / Tweet with. Next year...

Marthese said...

Have a great time...

Faybian said...

Perfect excuse to go shopping in Sydney. Daah! Just take cash and your credit card.

Suz said...

whatever you are wearing Bern, I can't wait to meet you xx

River said...

Well heck, now I can't wait to see which of those options you choose.

Chantelle {fat mum slim} said...

Have a great time. xx

aldi mum said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
aldi mum said...

Hello there..........love your blog some beautiful photos there!!!! I am new here have just been looking for fellow Aldi Lovers which i noticed on a previous post......I have started up a blog solely focusing on my love of Aldi........there is so much to love!!! Look forward to reading about your time at the conference!!!

Anonymous said...

Creating a Canine Pack for the Pickup

Look into my homepage ... plastic surgeon seo
Take a look at my web page ; plastic surgery seo

Anonymous said...

Need and Significance of Calibration

My web-site ... lawyer search engine optimization
my website - attorney leads

Anonymous said...

I all the time emailed this web site post page to all my friends, as if like to read it then my links will too.


My website ... nail fungus treatment