To be honest, the last time I had a good look at the Ten Commandments was probably around the same time I was getting ready for my Holy Communion circa 1983. I was what, 8? That was the first time I’d heard “Thou shalt not covet thy neighbour’s wife” and "Thou shalt not covet thy neighbour's goods" and I was all like “why on earth would I desire old Mrs Fowler or her rubbish television?”
Then there was all this talk about sin and first confessions. How much could I possibly have sinned at age 8? I hadn't kissed a boy because they STANK. I didn’t know how to swear, I was, to the best of my knowledge, honouring my mother and father and at that stage, had yet to even take the Lord's name in vain. I mean Christ on a bike, I had to make up my first ever confession because I had NOTHING. From memory I made up some story about fighting with my brother (which I'm pretty sure to this day, still won't get me sent to hell) yet 10 Hail Marys and I was good to go.
Anyway, this is really a long winded way of saying, in my world of now very apathetic religion, I thought I might nut out a few new Commandments that might be relevant in this modern society.
1. Thou shalt not misuse the word literally.
2. Thou shalt not play a new song so many times on the radio in a 24 hour period that people can no longer stand it.
3. Thou shalt not be a big deal if two people of the same sex want to get married.
4. Thou shalt not talk about fight club
5. Thou shalt not drive in a bus lane. Unless of course, you are a BUS.
6. Thou shalt not fail to acknowledge being let into traffic.
7. Thou shalt not vaguebook. Just tell Barry you hate his guts and GET ON WITH IT.
8. Thou shalt not EVER interpretive dance to a Gotye song.
9. Thou shalt not use the words “rando” or “cray cray” if you are over 35.
10. Thou shalt not kill someone over the result of a football match. Hey guys! It’s a game.Get a grip.
Feel free to add your own. PS, this is tongue in cheek so a)
apologies if you are deeply religious and b) nope that’s it,